Kallgren Dermatology Clinic is located in Boulder Colorado and is staffed by some amazing dermatologists. These doctors are some of the most highly trained in the area and are clearly passionate about what they do. They provide care for general, common skin disorders and care for patients with less common, severe conditions.
The common skin disorders we treat include acne. This painful and embarrassing skin condition is surrounded by misconceptions. We’ve put together some facts about acne to help clear up misinformation.
What Causes Acne?
- Acne is the result of hair follicle being clogged.
- Each hair follicle has, just below the skin, a sebaceous gland.
- The sebaceous gland produces sebum, an oily, waxy substance that under normal circumstance lubricates and waterproofs the skin.
- During adolescence, the sebaceous glands produce more sebum which often results in the clogging of the hair follicle.
- According to the Mayo Clinic, between 70 and 87 percent of teenagers experience acne.
Myths About Acne
- Despite the findings of one well publicized, but flawed, study, there IS a connection between what you eat and your acne.
- People who self-reported higher intakes of sugar and saturated and trans fats and consumption of fish and milk had a higher incidence of severe acne. Basically anything that increases you glycemic index.
Only Teenagers Suffer from Acne
- A survey taken by the Journal of American Academy of Dermatology found that 50% of women between 20 and 30 and 35% of women between 30 and 39 years, and 26% of women between 40 and 49 reported acne.
- Acne is more prevalent in adult women than men.
- The prevalence of acne in adult women is largely attributed to hormones.
Call 303.444.8100 today for an appointment with one of our fine dermatologists.