Kallgren Dermatology in Boulder is dedicated to giving personal attention to every patient. We care about the health of your skin and your general well-being. We know that many skin conditions can have psychological effects too, and so we try very hard to work with our patients and treat common skin disorders. One such disorder is hyperhidrosis.
What is Hyperhidrosis?
- Hyperhidrosis is the technical term for excessive sweating. Of course, everyone sweats when their body temperature rises from activity or from the environment around them. But some people have a condition called hyperhidrosis which means they experience excessive sweating.
- The location of the excessive sweating can be concentrated in one place; the armpits, the palms of the hands, or the bottom of the feet for example.
- If you are experiencing excessive sweating for the first time, you need have a thorough physical exam.
- Hyperhidrosis can be caused by medical conditions, some system but treatable and other quite serious. It is very important to rule out the serious medical conditions before seeing a dermatologist about it.
- Some of the more serious medical conditions that can cause it are brain lesions, diabetes, overactive thyroid and congestive heart failure.
- About 3% of the general population experiences symptoms of hyperhidrosis.
If All Medical Problems Are Ruled Out?
- Botox has been successfully used to treat hyperhidrosis
- One treatment last between 3 and 6 months.
- A Botox treatment can reduce perspiration by up to 90%
If you experience hyperhidrosis and have seen a physician to rule out other medical reason, call 303.444.1800 for a consultation with a dermatologist.