In our last blog, we covered some basics to choosing a sunscreen that would protect your skin from the damaging effects of UVA and UVB rays of sunlight. Protecting your skin takes more than just sunscreen and in this week’s blog, we will go over some lifestyle choices to make to keep your skin healthy and young looking as long as you can. We are Kallgren Dermatology in Boulder and our highly educated and experienced dermatologist and technicians are dedicated to keeping your skin healthy and young looking.
- Managing your sun exposure is a great first step to being sun smart. This means that you make sure that you do not stay outside in the sun during the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. When you are outside at any time, but especially during those peak hours, you should wear broad spectrum sunscreen, a hat, and any UV protection clothing that is appropriate.
- The saying “ you are what you eat” goes for your skin as much as anything else. Eating foods that are rich in cancer-fighting antioxidants is a great way to give your body what it needs to keep your skin healthy. A Mediterranean-type diet is recommended to keep skin healthy. This diet included lots of fish, leafy greens, olive oil, and fruits.
Avoid Smoking and Smoke
- Everyone knows that smoking is bad for your skin. Smoking restricts the blood flow to your skin and this causes premature aging. Did you know that you don’t even have to inhale secondhand smoke for it to be bad for your skin? Even when smoke particles settles on your skin it damages it by exposing skin to dangerous free radicals.
Skin Care Regimen
- Taking care of your skin on a daily basis is very important to keeping your skin healthy and young looking. Washing off the daily grime and grit, cleaning your pores, exfoliating to get rid of dead skin cells and using a good moisturizer will help your skin look and feel great! One line of products we recommend is Obagi. Click here to see the full line.
Catch Problems Early
- One of the best things you can do for your skin is to nip any problem in the bud.
- Whether it’s acne outbreaks or dermatitis, call your dermatologist at Kallgren Dermatology Clinic for an appointment and let them help you take care of any problem before it damages or scars your skin.
Call us today for any dermatology issue you are having or for a general check up or skin cancer check.