The lips are such a special part of our bodies. They are busy all day long, whether we are eating, drinking from a straw, whistling or kissing. They help us communicate our words, and they are the object of desire. It seems strange that they should not demand more care. Well, they may not demand it, but the need care and without it, they can look thin and dry. The highly-trained dermatologists at Kallgren Dermatology in Boulder know that when there is an issue with your lips, many parts of your life can be affected. Here are some tips to help keep your lips healthy and happy.
- When you are well hydrated, your lips will be fuller. Conversely, when you are dehydrated, your lips will look thinner and dried out.
Protect Them from Sun Exposure
- Just like the rest of your skin, your lips are susceptible to sun damage from excessive sun exposure.
- You can protect your lips with an SPF lip balm such as one from EltaMD.
- Kallgren Dermatology carries EltaMD Lip Balm with SPF 31.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat to protect your whole face from the sun’s damaging rays.
- Good nutrition affects the quality of your skin and lips. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and avoid junk food.
- Years of smoking will create lines around your lips that will make you look older than you are.
- Smoking damages the collagen and elastin in your skin, so your lips will lose strength and elasticity the more you smoke. This makes the lines around your mouth deepen.
If you have any questions regarding the health of your lips or skin in general, don’t hesitate to call Kallgren Dermatology in Boulder.