Kallgren Dermatology Clinic in Boulder knows the challenges of caring for skin. Every day, we see people who are doing all the right things and still have issues, large or small, with their skin. Some just can’t be helped. Winter air, in and of itself, is cold and dry, and when you go inside, the dry air of a heating system continues to dry your skin out. Here are some tips to help your skin look great through the winter.
Drink Lots of Water
- You may think that summer is a time to get dehydrated because it’s hot out and you are sweating, but the dry winter air will dry your skin out from the inside out if you forget to compensate for the dry air.
Use a Humidifier
- Besides being good for your nasal passages, extra humidity in the air will help your skin.
- Buy a humidity gauge and keep the moisture level of the air in your home between 45% and 55%.
Protect Your Skin
- Take short warm showers instead of long hot ones to maintain your natural oils.
- Don’t use harsh soaps. Make sure your soap is mild.
- Use a skin barrier reinforcing moisturizer like CeraVe SA to give your skin the edge against cold air.
- Carry hand moisturizer and apply it after you wash your hands to keep them protected against the dry air of winter.
Coloradans don’t waste nice days, especially if they are glorious bluebird days, but when you get out there, protect your skin.
Call Kallgren Dermatology Clinic at (303) 444-8100 for any of your skin care needs.