Living in Boulder increases the likelihood that you enjoy an active lifestyle, you just can’t escape it here! Getting outside and enjoying the mountains and rivers means spending extended lengths of time out in the sun and this can lead to sunburns and sun damage. While you are out skiing, rafting or hiking, don’t forget to take care of your skin. Kallgren Dermatology Clinic is staffed by dermatologists who can partner with you for your skin care.
Here are some tips for keeping your skin healthy in the Colorado sunshine.
Choose Your Exposure Times
- Limit your time out in the sun to the hours before 10 AM and after 2 PM. The sun’s rays are the strongest between 10AM and 2PM, so choose the majority of your time outside before or after peak sun hours.
Don’t Forget The Altitude
- Boulder is at 5,430 feet above sea level and that means less air and more intense sunshine.
- If you are hiking above the tree line, sun exposure is 40% greater because of the thin air. If there is snow on the ground the exposure is 70% greater due to the reflectivity of the snow.
Use a Broad Spectrum Sunscreen
- Use a sunscreen, such as EltaMD sunscreens, that protects against UVA and UVB rays.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours.
- Use a facial moisturizer that has sunscreen in on a daily basis.
- When you wear UV sunglasses you are protecting your eyes as well as the skin around your eyes.
Wear a Hat
- Choose a hat with a 360-degree wide brim. This will protect your neck and face regardless of the direction of the sun.
Kallgren Dermatology Clinic is dedicated to the health of your skin. Call (303) 444-8100 for an appointment.