Kallgren Dermatology Clinic in Boulder is staffed by some of the most highly qualified dermatologists in the area. We treat a variety of common skin problems as well as provide anti-aging treatment for those who want to slow the appearance of the signs of aging. One common skin problem we see patients for is warts. There are many myths about warts We will go over just a few of these is this blog.
- Toads give you warts. No, toads can not give your warts. Warts are caused by a virus, the HPV virus which is the human papilloma virus; it has nothing to do with Kermit the Frog or any of his cousins. Because it is a virus it is infectious, but only between humans.
- Warts have roots. No. Warts grow on the surface of the skin and never have any type of root.
- You can cure warts. No. The HPV virus lives in your body, in the DNA, and will survive.
- You can’t prevent a wart outbreak. You can only try to prevent an outbreak by boosting your immune system and having healthy habits like not smoking and taking your vitamins. It is likely that you will experience outbreaks from time to time.
- Warts are permanent. Most warts go away eventually, many within 6 months. If yours return and multiply, see a doctor.
- Warts can grow anywhere. Ok, this one is true. Warts can grow anywhere on the body.
Your dermatologist can help you with your warts. The most common treatments are salicylic acid which comes in patches, freezing and taping. It’s always a good to seek the opinion of a dermatologist if you have any new skin issues.